Carrot cake. The holy grail of desserts.
Freshly made carrot cake explodes with flavour. It’s a blend of caramel from the brown sugar, playful crunch from the pecans and earthy spices topped with the sweetness of cream cheese frosting.
As kids, we ate it religiously. It’s delicious, easy to make, and the perfect recipe for those of you who are strapped for time but don’t want to skimp on flavour.
Today we’re going to show you how to make the perfect carrot cake. Let’s dive right in!
Ingredients for carrot cake recipe
To make a successful carrot cake, you will need the below:
- Unsalted butter
- 12 ounces (2 ½ cups) all purpose flour
- 12 ounces grated carrots (approximately 6 medium carrots)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces sugar, approximately 1 1/3 cups
- 2 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately
- 1/4 cup firmly packed
- 3 large eggs
- 6 ounces plain yoghurt
- 6 ounces vegetable oil
- Cream cheese frosting (as much as you like!)